Tuesday 5 January 2010

Hello you



I have returned and I have no interesting news or even a fantastic reason for having dropped off the planet for the last 6ish weeks other than life, family and Christmas took over my world. I had so many plans for things I wanted to get done for the festive season but I had to content myself with doing what I could given that everyone seemed to be playing a relay race where the baton was some form of illness and I was the coach running around picking people up as they dropped on the track.

Mr P does not take holidays and does not yield to illness's no man flu for this hard nut!

"
I am a contractor, I will only miss a day of work if I am dead"

and to be honest with that for a motto he probably will not reach his 40
th birthday... but even the great man himself took 4 days off prior to Christmas and was bed ridden... I did go upstairs on several occasions and poke him with a wooden spoon to check he was in fact still with us and generally the snoring lead me to believe he was sleeping and not the other...

Danny had (in this order) ear infection, high temperature (doctor actually gave me anti-
biotics), sickness, the word starting with D that I cannot spell..... lets call it a runny tummy!, and then a ridiculous cough that took an age to shift... Jamie had a slight head cold which didn't come to much and I then had a bout of everything but unfortunately all at once...

We spent Christmas at home,
and I would like to thank Santa for bringing so many fabulous trinkets and gifts to our home this year... he is the Man! , Boxing day at my mum and dads and the following day at Mr P's mum and dads ( it is his dad's birthday though so just as important) .... I managed to stay calm and enjoy the festive season and not stress about it not being just so.....

to be honest I would so love to go away over Christmas, just find myself a lovely cottage in Scotland or the Lakes or anywhere away from home, perhaps some real snow for the children and Mr P... (the biggest kid of them all) to enjoy.

Oh who am I kidding given the opportunity and the nerve I would emigrate to Canada tomorrow!
Maybe one day.

Mr P worked between Christmas and new year...(see previous statement!
lol) and Jamie has now returned to school and Danny and I are battling the toilet training...

I know he's 4 at the end of the month and the
pre-school are piling on the pressure regarding this aspect of his development, which apparently if not sorted by the new year they will "refer" him so he and I are negotiating a deal for him to pay attention to his bodily needs but to be honest he sees little point in stopping what he's doing to visit the bathroom.


They are predicting snow for the South west of England and no doubt us soft southerners will moan and
whinge, I hope we get snowed in.... 10 ft drifts and all roads to Dorset are closed...... but I have very selfish reasons which will become apparent should you read on


This weekend I am babysitting my dad so that my mum and brother can attend my nieces 18
th birthday party at the Royal Bath Hotel in Bournemouth. I know he's my dad but the thought of being in sole charge of a temperamental partially bed ridden 82 year old concerns me but no doubt I will cope, I am at present being guilt'ed into staying at my parents house so that mum and youngest brother can stay over in Bournemouth and come home Sunday.
What has started out as a request for parental care for a few hours will
inevitably turn into the whole weekend as after they leave the hotel a family Sunday dinner will happen and then perhaps home to Yeovil for 6ish. To say I am suffering an internal battle of guilt and resentment would be an understatement... he's my dad and has done and provided for me all his life.... however the thought of caring for your dad that has a tendency to have accidents of a toiletry nature terrifies me... Oh I don't know what a pickle I am in... I think the phrase "damned if I do and damned if I don't" springs to mind...

(for those of you who have a) gotten this far and b) give a monkey's behind.... we were invited to said party but declined for reasons best not published, needless to say I am at an end of being the "bigger person" and forgiving my middle brothers ignorance and would rather not put myself through the stress involved being in his company.... I am on a completely stress free diet this year....! well that was the plan! ;D lol)

Well.... to be honest this post is probably not read worthy and sounds like the ramblings of an ungrateful mare but I feel better for it

I had better get a shift on, I have been requested to drive Mum to town and assist with her shopping so that she can use up her Marks and Spencer vouchers and she'll need a new outfit for the weekend... and hopefully a pair of snowshoes! oh I am so wicked.....

No really I had better dash and I wish you all healthy wealthy happiness for a fantastic 2010
thanks for stopping by and take care

Alex
x




11 comments:

Joanne said...

Hey don't feel guilty you certainly do you bit and more for your mum and dad and as for the snow why should we miss out the rest of the country has it. As long as I can get to you Wednesday i'm all for the snow.

Have a good time shopping with your mum.

best wishes

Joanne x

Eclectic Chic Style said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK! I'm squealing Alex!!! HI HI HI!!! I've been waiting for you to return....so sorry about the illnesses you've endured over the holidays though!!!
I'm back I'm back in blogland and I have missed you terribly!!!! WoooHOOOOOO!! You have made my day girlie girl, I have thought about you SOOOOOO much!!!!!! We have to catch up!!
SUPER BIG HUGS ♥ Teresa

Joanne said...

PS For got to say i'll join you this Christmas in that rather good looking log cabin but I would rather go to Canada than Scotland, hey who am i kidding Scotland would be just great. Can we leave the other half's back home with the kids after all there probably won't be enough room in the cars after all our wool and crafty bits are on board. LOL

Unknown said...

Oh yay, you are back! I did in fact think that you HAD dropped off the face of the earth....so I am very pleased that that was not the case :o)

Happy New Year! I'm so pleased that you had a wonderfully fabulous Christmas and New Year. But not so good about the illness bit, YUK....hopefully that is all left in the last year now. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm not sharing your enthusiasm for the snow. P has had no paid work now for three, nearly four weeks. NOT GOOD. The joys of being a motorcycle instructor. The snow here in the North East shows NO sign at all of going. I am not sure what it is like in the rest of the country?

B was nearly 4 before he was toilet trained....in fact, he turned 4 in the September as we attempted it in the summer. He took to the 'wee' bit ok, but the 'number 2's' took MUCH longer. I hope you get sorted, and I don't REALLY think it is an issue until he is at school age. Then it would be a bit of a problem. I hope you get sorted.

Anyway, sending you lots of love, luck and happiness for a wonderful 2010. Lots of love xxx

PS Ignore your brothers. They know nothing. You are gorgeous. (that was meant in a non-stalker-ish kind of way! lol) xx

menopausalmusing said...

Hey! great to see you back! Wishing you the happiest of New Years. :O)

Unknown said...

You soooo made me laugh during this blog...please do not give up blogging if only to save me from losing the plot!!! Happy New Year!

pinkfairygran said...

Good to see you back again, and to hear all is well with you.
Re the looking after your Dad thing.... I quite understand how this is making you feel, even though I lost both my parents when I was in my 20s/early thirties so haven't had to go through the role reversal thing with ones parents. But so many close friends have been through it, through the stage also of having to look into a home for an aged parent, the rock and hard place situation, the guilt combined with relief and then naturally more guilt at being relieved, when a place is found for them. In some ways I miss my Mum more than words can say... on the other hand, I feel relieved I am not in the position so many friends are, then I feel guilty for feeling like that!!

A guilt-free year is definitely on my agenda too, as well as no longer wasting my time and energy and mental energy, on people who don't deserve it.

Happy new year to you too x

Jackie said...

Alex ~ I'm so glad to see you back. I had missed reading your little blog. I hope that 2010 is wonderfully happy and healthy for you and your family :O) x

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello Alex!
Gosh, what a time of it you have had over recent weeks - more than your fair share of illnesses I think!
Thank you for your lovely comments. I did a search for a balaclava pattern on google but haven't found anything which looks remotely suitable for a la-la-la-lady!! So I am watching closely to see how your scarf turns out....
The weather is not looking promising for the weekend, so maybe you'll be 'saved by the snow' after all!
Take care dear, and I hope you'll be able to post again soon!
D x

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Oh, this is certainly read worthy. I enjoy how you write, but am sorry that your family was sick, and that thinking about taking care of your father is stressful for you. My father has long been gone, but I remember it was a different feeling because my father always took care of me, not the other way! For a daughter, it it is difficult. Prayers for you in this area of your life. I too took a huge break in blogging, totally not intending too. Life....Stress free is what I'm working for in 2010. Thanks for the post. It helped me know that sometimes it's alright to step aside as we're doing the best we can.

Jenn said...

Sorry for all the sickness, we had some, thankfully not as much. I have missed your writing, rants and ramblings. And you have every right to feel as you do over the hours turning into days. Just glad you are back.