Wednesday 18 March 2009

A month to get it ready...

Having read lots of posts from my blog land friends about their celebrations for St Patricks Day I have decided to get my act together as an English woman and get ready for a St Georges Day celebration on April 23rd....

The Scottish Parliament recently made St Andrews Day a bank holiday and I think the English Parliament should do the same for St George...

I think I am going to start by making some bunting.... and then I think the family will eat out that night and we will have our own "feast of St George" as its on a Thursday this year I am a little lost for other things to do.....

I want to put some planters outside our front fence on the edge of the pavement.... So I think I will plant them up with white and red flowers, and a white and red hanging basket.....

Any other ideas greatly appreciated

events to go to so far are:

Lulworth Castle

NEW to Lulworth this year is our exciting spring Dragon Egg Hunt from 5th to 17th April.

You can hunt for the dragon’s egg tokens around the Castle Park and win prizes! The friendly baby dragons will be on hand for you to meet and you can join in a Dragon procession. Be enchanted by the Golden Dragon of Spring stories. Join in the dragon themed activities, quizzes and trails including make your own Dragon!

Event included in normal admission price

Castle prices are as follows:

Adult - £8.50, Concessions - £7.00, Child (4-15) £4.00

Family (2 adults and 3 children) - £25.00

Family (1 adult and 3 children) - £16.50

Starts at: 10.30 am until 5 pm




Dunster Castle (in Somerset)

Embark upon a Knight's quest and dragon hunt in the castle gardens.

Normal Admission Charges Apply

Adult - £7.80, Child - £3.80

Family - £18.60

Family (1 adult) - £11.60

Free squashy dragon with every trail sheet

Trails available from visitor reception points

Trail takes place outdoors so please wear clothing suitable for the weather

Scheduling Information

26 April 10am - 4pm

Pricing

Child £1.50 per trail


I think that will plenty to keep us going over the weekend of the 25th April in celebration of St George and being English...


Hope you all have a fantastic day, and that the sun is shining wherever you may be.


Take care

Alex

X


15 comments:

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Oooh Alex, what fun!! You have to take pics to share with us!! I am intriqued and always have been by castles!!! I would love love love to tour one of those!! and an Easter Egg Hunt on the grounds? What fun!! (No castles here in Texas) :( lol!!! Have a great Wednesday my friend!!
♥ Teresa

Shabby Chick said...

Brilliant idea to celebrate St George's, I like it. I really wanted my daughter's birthday to be on the 23rd but she waited until the 27th!

I think I might do roast beef and all the trimmings or something and hang our big St George flag from my bedroom window (on such a busy road EVERYONE will see it!). The bunting sounds like a good idea too!

Mel xxx

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

That castle is just stunning! Sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to read more about St. George Day. It's wonderful to learn about my friends across the water.

April said...

I am so with you - St George's Day should be as important to us as St Patrick's Day is to the Irish! Why is it seen as a bad thing to be proud to be English??

April xx

Anonymous said...

oh how fun! And what great activities at the castles!! And a wonderful opportunity to teach the kiddies a little bit about history!!

Taz said...

Unfortunately they only made it a voluntary holiday up here in Scotland, so it doesn't me we'll all definately get the day off.
I know what you mean though I'm Welsh and while we used to dress up in national costume in school there's not an awful lot else done that day. Liking your ideas and I bet your flowers will look real pretty.

Joanne said...

I'm with you and can't wait for our days out.
Also going to get my white and red flowers at the weekend, the garden is going to look great in red and white.

Your english friend.

Taz said...

Probably the only thing that is cool about me is my converse so I wouldn't worry sweetie :)
I know what you mean about the mags, I used to just like the pictures but now I want the info, if you're old then I must be decrepid LOL

Snippety Gibbet said...

Wow!!! I want to come along!

missliz said...

Okay, so I have never been much of a history buff, and as a result have no idea who St. George is. You have peeked my interest though, so I will have to go surfing and see what I can find. Can't wait to hear all about your special day! Liz

Summer by the sea said...

Love your ideas for St George's Day - we are very patriotic in this house, but we don't really celebrate it, so we may pinch your ideas! - I agree, it should be a bank holiday - Natalie x

Satu said...

Hello Alex,
I didn't find your email address, so I leave a comment...and let you know:
I posted your EASTER surprise today. I hope it'll get there safely.
Satu;) from Finland

Eclectic Chic Style said...

You'll get your mojo back soon!! We all go through it, I'm in a sewing funk right now and just can't seem to find time to do it, even though I have all these things in my head to do. lol!! I look forward to you popping in and enjoy your comments so much, and love having a blog friend like you, you're such a sweetheart!!! Have a great day today!
♥ Teresa

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Hi Alex! IT was interesteing to hear about your mom. That is exactly what we did, wired each rose! It's good to know we were on the right track!

Shabby Chick said...

Hi Alex

Thanks so much for your comment, it was really kind of you. Sorry to hear you're struggling too, I know just what you mean about having children being what makes you get up sometimes. If you ever need an ear you know where I am too.

Hugs, Mel xxx